Friday, November 13, 2009

"All of a Sudden"

After seeing the Jack Pierson letter sign sculptures the other week I began thinking about his photography again. Published by PowerHouse in 1995, All of a Sudden was one of the first photo books I bought when I moved to NYC for graduate school. It was such a mind shattering idea of what photography and color meant to me. Previous to that I would never have thought to be so expressive, personal and messy with my photos. That book showed me a contemporary viewpoint that I had never studied before and it was such a perfect introduction to New York. And a peek into a place I would later come to love, Provincetown. Here are a couple of spreads from the book.



And this last image is a postcard for my first show at a school gallery in the city, I think you can kind of see the influence.


1 comment: